Success Story Details - RUSSIA
- Yamal LNG,
BATTLING THE HARSHEST TEMPERATURES AND PUSHING BOUNDARIES TO DELIVER RESULTS
AT -50°C YOUR BODY SHUTS DOWN, BUT OUR MACHINES DID NOT
The Arctic is a harsh land, as trying and unpredictable as it is fascinating. When we were called upon to push our boundaries, quite literally, there was no way we would say anything but yes.
Our partner and ongoing customer - company "Velesstroy" - was part of a grand and unprecedented project: The construction of the plant "Yamal LNG" LNG in the Yamal Peninsula, Arctic.
The implementation of Yamal LNG would provide for the construction of a plant to produce liquefied natural gas (LNG) to the resource base of South Tambeyskoye field discovered in 1974.
The Challenge :
• Quality, durability, and real world experience working in special climatic conditions were critical in implementing this project.
• The development of LNG projects was not only the future of Russian gas, but would open up new opportunities for further development of Arctic territories. After the completion of construction on the Yamal multipurpose seaport and railway through the Northern Sea Route, many Russian regions would have access to the ocean.
• The first team of employees LLC Velesstroy came to Yamal in September 2013. One of the vital tasks included the construction of a residential complex for 500 people. Hence the construction of the car park notably, stood in the august company of the construction of the fire station, high voltage power lines, and other utilities. Each was completed with equal sincerity and attention to detail.
The construction of the cryogenic tanks to store liquefied gas required the right concrete recipe to withstand the Arctic temperatures.
The Solution :
In the course of the project, Velesstroy entered into a contract with the French company VINCI, for a range of works, including 4 cryogenic tanks for storage of liquefied gas. Each cryogenic tank is 78 meters in diameter and 46 meters in height. The important point was to find the right recipe of concrete adapted to Arctic conditions, given the temperature regime in the region that ranges between -50°C and 30°C.
Notably, each tank was built in 22 days.
The base and the foundation and the portions of walls were erected with the application of a concrete truck. AutoConcrete Putzmeister M56-5.16H proved the most successful for the very demanding project construction.
To fill the walls Putzmeister stationary pumps were used including Putzmeister BSA1407D model and Putzmeister BSA2110 HPD, as well as seven distribution units booms. Putzmeister RV-13. BSA1407D model pumps were intended for concreting works with a maximum capacity of up to 71m³. They were easily transported on site, due to their lightweight build. Equipped with a hydraulic system, they were very convenient and effective.
Putzmeister BSA 2110 version of the HPD - a powerful concrete pump with increased stroke and high pressure feed, was best suited for the construction of high rise buildings. Special information, design and service support were provided by the specialists of "Putzmeister-Rus".
Other pumps used were Auto concrete Putzmeister M42-5.16H, a new generation equipped 5 sectional distribution boom, Putzmeister M42-5.16H for low cost servicing, Putzmeister concrete truck M36-4.16H owned by SGC-NORTH, YAMALMEHANIZATSIYA, and Putzmeister concrete pump M42-5.16H that worked at the base unit for the first line of the plant.
Work was carried out at sub-zero temperature (-19°C). Special insulating materials were used in barrels of concrete mixers supplying the concrete mixture of the concrete and concrete pumps.
Work begins on one of the cryogenic tanks - 78 meters in diameter and 49 meters in height.
Concrete Takeaway :
• According to the governor of Yamal, The development of LNG projects is not only the future of Russian gas on world stage, but will open up new opportunities for further development of Arctic territories. After the completion of construction on the Yamal multipurpose seaport and railway through the Northern Sea Route, many Russian regions would have access to the world's oceans.
• Putzmeister experience in technology and ability to participate in special projects such as pumping stations under the Novy Urengoy in the Krasnoyarsk region, including on the Yamal Peninsula and near Vorkuta further cemented its reputation in the industry.